“In time of COVID-19” – Video & Essay Contest on the Humanistic Stories of the Current Pandemic
“In time of COVID-19” – A Video & Essay Contest on the Humanistic Stories of the Current Pandemic (Above Video is from press conference)
Contestants should submit a video to be accompanied by an Essay. The horizontal video has to be less than one minute in MP4 or MOV, the essay need to be less than 600 words. All contents should be in English. Submit your presentation in digital file to firstname.lastname@example.org
The corona-virus is highly contagious and extremely virulent. In a matter of months it has spread to every corner of our world causing deaths, wreaking havoc to our bodies, our well-being, our health care and economic systems. To combat this virus, practically all Americans have been ordered to shelter-in-place and all economic activities have been halted for weeks. As of the end of April, 2020, over one million Americans have been infected with no light at the end of the tunnel.
It has been estimated that half of all Americans are living from paycheck to paycheck, and practically all of them do not have a three month emergency fund covering essential daily expenses. This is an economic disaster on top of a health pandemic.
Every calamity carries its own humanistic stories. We believe that the current pandemic has generated a treasure trove of interesting stories, valuable and relevant contents about humanity in all its spectrums. Stories about greed, selfishness, scapegoating on the one side, but also stories about generosity, heroism, kindness and outstanding services to fellow human beings on the other.
Ding Ding TV (Silicon Valley Innovation Channel and Voice of Asian Americans) , CLUSA together with 16 partners would like to bring these stories to our community and simultaneously acknowledge and honor their creators.
The Total Prizes of $10000 will be distributed as follows:
a) $3000 for 1 first prize winner
b) $1500 for 2 second prize winners
c) $1000 for 3 third prize winners
d) $1000 for the Most Popular by Viewer’s Choice
The selection by the Panel of Judges will be final.
Rules for the Video & Essay Contest
of the Humanistic Stories of the Current Pandemic
Contest Rules:(Very important)
1) This “In Time of COVID-19” Video Essay Contest is open to all independent journalists, ethnic media, video creators, event organizers and civic organization contestants in the United States to chronicle the human saga of this unfortunate but epic event.
2) The video has to be less than one minute horizontal in MP4 or MOV, the essay need to be less than 600 words. All contents should be in English. Submit your digital presentation not YouTube link to email@example.com
3) The theme should focus on telling uplifting and inspirational stories relating to the current pandemic
4) Submissions will be in English only and the contents must be original.
5) If background music and other visual, verbal and sound (reference) material are used from internet, the contestant must possess copyrights or have explicit permission to use such material(s).
6) By entering this contest, the contestants will have given DingDingTV explicit permission to distribute the video widely on media channels, the internet and social media sites such as Youtube, Facebook, WhatApp, WeChat, twitter….etc.
7) Contestants are required to submit in English a video of less than one minute in length to be accompanied by a written essay of less than 600 words. The theme should focus on the uplifting and inspirational stories relating to the current pandemic. Submissions are accepted immediately and opened until May 30, 2020.
8) A diverse Panel of Judges will select:
1st Prize (1 winner: $3,000), 2nd Prize (2 winners: $1,500 each), 3rd Prize (3 winners: $1,000 each). People’s Choice (1 winner: $1000).
Contestants should submit a video to be accompanied by an Essay. The horizontal video has to be less than one minute in MP4, the essay need to be less than 600 words. All contents should be in English.
Submit your presentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
9) Submissions are accepted from May 5, 2020 to May 30, 2020.
1) Based on the following 10 points system:
a) Inspirational and Uplifting Contents – 3 points
b) Storyline – 3 points
c) Creativity – 2 points
d) Production/Technical Skills – 2 points
2) Diverse and distinguished Panel of Chairs and Judges of the “In Time of COVID-19” Video & Essay Contest:
Sandy Chau, Judge，Honorary Chair of the Contest, President of CLUSA
Joel Wong，Chair of the Judges Panel, President 80-20 United
Sandy Close，Honorary Advisor of the Contest, American journalist and the founder of Ethnic Media Service
Diana Ding, Chair of the Contest, Founder & CEO of Ding Ding TV
Bens Hilaire, Judge of the Contest, CEO & Founder of TooDeep, Host of the popular podcast DreadHead in Tech
Mattie Scariot, Judge of the Contest, Director of Poppy Jasper International Film Festival
George Koo, Judge of the Contest, Writer of Asia Times
Tony Perkins, Judge of the Contest, Founder & Editor Cryptonite, Creator and former editor-in-chief of Red Herring magazine
Steve Yamaguma, Judge of the Contest, Co-Chair of Silicon Valley Asian Pacific FilmFest
SK Lo, Judge of the Contest, President of Asian American Unity Coalition
Nick Kaspar, Judge of the Contest, President & CEO of Silicon Valley Central Chamber of Commerce
Pragati Grover, Judge of the Contest, Operations Manager of Team4Tech, Saratoga Union School District Board
Sandy Wang, Chair of Partners, Vice President of Silicon Valley Entrepreneurs Festive
3) To encourage maximum participation, twenty (20) semi-finalists will be selected by the audience participants on the DingDingTV website by clicking “thumb up” like from: watch videos here
4) The Panel of Judges will select one (1) First Prize Winner ($3,000), two (2) Second Prize winners ($1,500 each), and three (3) Third Prize winners ($1,000 each) from the twenty (20) semi-finalists as selected by audience.
5) One (1) Viewer Choice ($1,000) Prize will be awarded to the highest vote getter in addition to the six (6) Judges’ Award.
6) The decisions of the Judges are final.