HELP ELECT OTTO LEE FOR SUPERVISOR 2020
As you might have heard, my husband, Otto Lee, is running for Santa Clara County Supervisor to succeed Dave Cortese. I would like to invite you to have a direct conversation with Otto next Sunday afternoon, 5/26/19.
Otto has dedicated his life to public service – serving in the US Navy, as Sunnyvale Councilmember and Mayor, and on the Democratic National Committee. Now he’s running for Supervisor to continue that dedication by tackling our challenges — creating more affordable housing, addressing homelessness, reducing traffic congestion, and strengthening environmental protections to fight climate change.
Please join us next Sunday for an afternoon reception to meet Otto up close & personal (see invite details below). I’ve also attached Otto’s bio herein for your reference.
You can RSVP directly to Diana or to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. If you are unable to attend, we hope Otto will earn your support!
Otto Lee is the founder and managing partner of IPLG – Intellectual Property Law Group LLP headquartered in San Jose, California, that specializing in patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets related matters. He has been practicing international intellectual property law in Silicon Valley for over two decades.
Otto resides with his wife Sally and their three young daughters in Sunnyvale, California. As the first Asian-American elected Councilmember/Mayor in Sunnyvale, Otto Lee served in different governing roles.
For his city and community, Otto first served on the Planning Commission from 1997 to 2003, including serving as the Commission Chair, where he helped usher in an era of smart growth and downtown revitalization. Subsequently, Sunnyvale voters elected Otto to be their City Councilmember and Mayor from 2003 to 2011. Being a strong advocate of our environment, Otto is widely known as the “Green Mayor” of Sunnyvale, in which he created a greater awareness of community and environmental issues affecting his constituents’ daily lives. Otto was a Democratic Congressional Candidate for CA District 22 in 2012 (running against Devin Nunes and became the highest vote-getter for his Party in Central Valley.) Otto is currently an elected DNC National Committeeman from California representing the Silicon Valley, and he serves as a super-delegate during the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary.
For his country, Otto has served in the U.S. Navy Reserves for 28 years and currently holds the rank of Commander. His most notable assignments include: Disbursing and Sales Officer onboard a Guided Missile Cruiser, Supply Officer for SEABEEs Construction Battalion, Commander Naval Air Forces Pacific Headquarters overseeing logistics support for six aircraft carriers and also Commander Naval Forces Korea. In addition to participating in many joint exercises with the South Korean armed forces, Otto was deployed to Baghdad, Iraq in 2009 for a year-long assignment as the Chief of Drawdown Material Disposition Policy. His work focused on base closures and material drawdown authorities where he was instrumental to help close more than 200 bases, to which he was awarded the Bronze Star. Subsequently, Otto has been serving with the Naval Supply Global Logistics Support Headquarters in San Diego and later retired in January 2018.
Otto received his B.S. in chemical and nuclear engineering from U.C. Berkeley, J.D. from U.C. Hastings, and LL.M. in Public International Law from the University of Leiden, The Netherlands. He is admitted to the bars in California and Washington D.C. He has received many awards, most notably, the Character Award from the Boy Scouts of America, and was selected as Veteran of the Year for California Assembly District 22, and NAACP San Jose/Silicon Valley Legislator of the Year. He is a frequent guest commentator on Chinese television and radio on national politics and international affairs. He has been quoted on NPR, and published Op-Eds on international security matters in the San Jose Mercury News.
~ Otto Lee’s Bio ~
• University of California, Berkeley. B.S. in Chemical & Nuclear Engineering
• University of California, Hastings College of the Law. J.D.
• Rijksuniversiteit Leiden, The Netherlands. LL.M., Public International Law
• Founder and Managing Attorney, Intellectual Property Law Group LLP
• Registered Patent Attorney
• Commander, Supply Corps, U.S. Navy Reserve. Recalled to active duty to serve a yearlong tour in Baghdad in OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM (2009)
• Councilmember, Vice Mayor and Mayor, City of Sunnyvale (2003 – Jan 2012)
• Planning Commissioner, Vice Chair and Chair, City of Sunnyvale (1998 – 2003)
• Sunnyvale Census 2000 Outreach Committee
• Blue Ribbon Task Force on Nanotechnology (2005 –2006)
• National League of Cities Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials (APAMO)
o President (2006 – 2008), VP (2005 – 2006), Treasurer (2004 – 2005)
• Democratic Municipal Officials
o Board Member (2004 – Jan 2012), Treasurer (2010 – Jan 2012)
• US Conference of Mayors
o Energy Standing & International Affairs Standing Committee (2007)
• DNC National Committeeman from California (2018 – present)
• Bronze Star Medal, Navy and Marine Corp Commendation Medal (2 awards), Joint Services
Achievement Medal (2 awards), Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2 Awards)
Iraqi Campaign Medal, Joint War on Terrorism Medal
• Veteran of the Year Award (2012)
• NAACP Silicon Valley Legislator of the Year (2011)
• Character Award from the Boy Scouts of America (2011)
• Community Top Dads Award (2012)
• Community Award from the Asian Law Alliance (2010)
• BEST UNDER 40 National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2006)
• Asian American Hero’s Award from Santa Clara County (2004)
• Immigrant from Hong Kong; Speaks Spanish and Chinese
• Married with three daughters
• E-mail: vote@OttoLee.org
• Website: www.OttoLee.org
OTTO_Bio and Story (2pgs)_general.pdf