APA Justice Meeting
Final Agenda of 2021/10/05 APA Justice Meeting
APA Justice Meeting – Tuesday, 2021/10/05
11:55 am Eastern Time/8:55 am Pacific Time
Register to attend: https://bit.ly/3CTcWynTentative Agenda0. Introduction of New Speakers
a. Rep. Jamie Raskin, Member, U.S. Congress (MD-08)
b. John Hemann, Partner, Cooley LLP
c. Louis Gross, President, University of Tennessee Knoxville Faculty Senate
1. Remarks by Rep. Jamie Raskin
a. Speaker: Rep. Jamie Raskin, Member, U.S. Congress (MD-08)
– APA Justice: 2021/06/30 Congressional Roundtable – “Researching While Chinese American”
– APA Justice: Congressional Probe into NIH and FBI
Congressman Jamie Raskin serves on the House Judiciary Committee, the Committee on Oversight and Reform, the Committee on House Administration, and the Select Committee on the January 6 Attack. He is also Chair of the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.
2. CAPAC updates
a. Speaker: Nisha Ramachandran, Executive Director, Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
Updates from CAPAC
a. Speaker: John Hemann, Partner, Cooley LLP
– 2021/09/28 Law360: ‘Overheated’: How A Chinese-Spy Hunt At DOJ Went Too Far
– Cooley LLP: Our Fight for Racial Justice
– APA Justice: Chen Song
– Sherry Chen Legal Defense Fund
John is a prominent trial lawyer with more than 25 years of experience overseeing high-profile white collar, criminal, anti-corruption, FCPA, national security, trade secret, cybersecurity and antitrust cases and prosecutions in the public and private sectors. Most recently, John served as chief of the special prosecutions and national security unit and deputy chief of the criminal division at the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California.
4. White Paper on Racial Disparities in Economic Espionage Act Prosecutions
a. Speaker: Andrew Kim, Attorney, Greenberg Traurig
– Committee of 100: Racial Disparities in Economic Espionage Act Prosecutions: A Window Into The New Red Scare
– 2021/09/22 YouTube: Racial Disparities in Economic Espionage Act Prosecutions: A Window into the New Red Scare (1:30:24)
Andrew Chongseh Kim is a litigator with experience in disputes related to oil and gas, commercial transactions, trade secrets, and white collar defense. Prior to joining Greenberg Traurig, Andrew spent several years as a law school professor at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law and Concordia University School of Law. His research, which has been published in top-50 law reviews and cited in briefs to the United States Supreme Court, applies sophisticated statistical techniques to the analysis of our legal systems. Andy will share his insights on an updated white paper with the Committee of 100 on Economic Espionage Act prosecutions.
5. Reinstatement of Professor Anming Hu and Moving Forward
a. Speaker: Louis Gross, President, University of Tennessee Knoxville Faculty Senate
– UTK Faculty Senate President Web Page: Faculty Member Suspension Issue
– APA Justice: Anming Hu
Professor Gross is also Chancellor’s Professor and Alvin and Sally Beaman; Distinguished Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Mathematics; Director, The Institute for Environmental Modeling.
“The Faculty Senate is a volunteer organization made up of faculty leaders who advocate for the faculty. Members are elected by tenure-track and non-tenure-track faculty members in their caucuses. In these times, shared governance and academic freedom are more important than ever for all faculty members, tenure-track and non-tenure track. If you are not already a member of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) consider joining and selecting our local chapter at UTK.”
6. Anti-Racial Profiling Project – Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
a. Speaker: Gisela Kusakawa, Staff Attorney, Advancing Justice | AAJC
– Advancing Justice | AAJC: Anti-Racial Profiling Project
– Legal Referral Service: Contact 202-935-6014 using the Signal app for attorney referrals. AAJC staff can assist you in Mandarin Chinese and English.
Update on Anti-Racial Profiling and related activities.
7. Q&A and Discussions
8. Next Meeting
– Monday, November 1, 2021
Subscribe to The APA Justice Newsletter